Environmental Horticulture Agent
Michelle Atkinson is the environmental horticulture agent for UF/IFAS Extension Manatee County, Palmetto. Her program provides workshops and research-based information to the pest control, lawn and landscape, and golf course industries.
Program areas include landscape management, urban and community pest management, as well as pesticide safety, training, and testing. Michelle also oversees a residential mobile irrigation lab whose focus is to encourage outdoor water conservation and best management practices in the landscape.
Ms. Atkinson received her MS in Natural Resource Policy and Administration from University of Florida, and her BS from the Stetson University.
Electronic Database Information System (EDIS) Publications
- Ott, E., Monaghan, P., Wells, O., Hansen, G., Warner, L., and Atkinson, M., 2015. Strategies to Encourage Adoption of Stormwater Pond Best Management Practices (BMPs) by Homeowners. Publication WC214
Honors and Awards
- Achievement Award, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2018
- Search for Excellence in Environmental Quality, Forestry and Natural Resources, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2018
- Art Hornsby, Distinguished Extension Professional and Enhancement Award, UF/IFAS Extension, 2018
- Jim App Team Extension Award, UF/IFAS Extension, 2018
- Southern Regional Winner - Communications Award: Best Video Recording, National Association of County Agricultural Agents, 2016
- Program of Excellence Team Award, Florida Extension Association of Family and Consumer Sciences, 2016